Taste the Countryside in Waterloo Region
06 Oct 2022
It’s October, and do you know what that means? Taste the Countryside is returning to Waterloo Region! This 10 day culinary adventure features Prix Fixe menus at some of Waterloo region’s favourite rural eateries. The menus will be inspired by the Fall season and will focus on supporting local. After two years of a pandemic, this is one event you don’t want to miss!
Community Harvest Dinner
Last night in the Market Tent at Jacob’s Grill, I attended a media event that featured the 14 restaurants that are participating in this year’s Taste the Countryside over the next 10 days.
This Community Harvest Dinner is new for 2022, and featured local ingredients with beverage pairings. It was a really great way to sample some of the amazing dishes that will be available during this amazing event.
We enjoyed a lovely four-course meal:
Potato Fondant: grilled over the open pit with rarebit “fondue”.
Prepared by Daniel Neri, Scran & Dram
Suggested Pairing: Block 3, Blocktoberfest
Mushroom & Fall Vegetable Ragout: sweety drop peppers, seasoned crisp bread, cotija cheese, red wine drizzle.
Prepared by Prince Bux, Village Biergarten
Suggested Pairing: The Tasting House Cabernet Merlot
Wood-fired Italian porchetta, Stevanus Family Farms Huckleberry gold potatoes, charred cinnamon delicata squash, salsa verde dressed Hoppy Fields Farm brussels sprouts, crispy chicharrones.
Prepared by Loreena Miller, Fat Sparrow & Bruce Duff, RiverSong
Suggested Pairing: Rural Roots, Tile Yard Red
Apples & Fat Sparrows: harth grilled Martin’s Family Fruit Farm apples, sweet herb sugar dusted drop donuts, wild ginger fool, sponge toffee, salted Niagara sherry vinegar caramel.
Prepared by Nick Benninger, Fat Sparrow
Suggested Pairing: Murphy’s Law Hot Apple Pie
Taste the Countryside Participating Restaurants
This year, there are 14 restaurants participating in Taste the Countryside. Click through each restaurant to preview their Prix Fixe menus.
1. Kitchen Kuttings Cafe Inc. – 40 Arthur Street South, Elmira
2. Rural Roots Brewing Company – 21B Industrial Drive, Elmira
3. Chef Duff at RiverSong – 632 Hawkesville Road, St. Jacobs
4. EcoCafe – 1441 King Street North, St. Jacobs
5. Those Pizza Guys – 9 Front Street, St. Jacobs
6. Jacob’s Grill – 1398 King Street North, St. Jacobs
7. The Tasting House – 1374 King Street North, St. Jacobs
8. Gmach Gardens – 1383 Huron Road, Petersburg
9. MeMe’s Cafe and Food Shop – 102 Peel Street, New Hamburg
10. Scran & Dram Scottish Public House – 338 Waterloo Street, New Hamburg
11. Imperial Market & Eatery – 60 Huron Street, New Hamburg
12. Crowsfoot Smokehaus – 1872 Sawmill Road, Conestogo
13. The Garden Stand – Chef Adam Brenner – 90 Wilmot Street, New Hamburg
14. Hungarian Canadian Club – 979 Kossuth Road, Cambridge
A Rural Culinary Adventure
The Taste the Countryside event runs from October 6th through October 15th. This is a great way to explore the culinary offerings in Waterloo Region’s rural restaurants at decent prices. Try one, or try them all. Either way, you’ll be sure to find something you will love. If you do go, post your food pics on social using the #TastetheCountrysideWR hashtag, and tag @tastethecountrysidewr.
If you’re looking for more awesome places to eat and drink in Waterloo region, we’ve got you covered.
If you are a PR agency or brand and would like me to review a travel destination, vehicle, restaurant, product or service, please send me an email.
A Detailed Guide to Beautiful Morelia Mexico
26 May 2023 - Contributor Articles, Mexico, North America, Travel
5 Amazing Things to See in NSW, Australia
19 May 2023 - Australia & South Pacific, Contributor Articles, Travel