Florida Keys: Celebrating the Key West Sunset in Mallory Square
08 Jun 2018
A visit to Key West Florida is not complete with a stop in Mallory Square. There is are so many things to do, places to eat, fun entertainment, and of course, the famous Sunset Celebration.
I was lucky enough to experience the Sunset Celebration when I was in Key West. It was surreal – the shopping, the wonderful restaurants, the entertainment, and of course – the beautiful sunset.
Thousands of people gather each night to view the sunset in the Florida Keys. Right in the heart of Mallory Square, overlooking Key West Bight, you will see the most spectacular sunset, with sailboats passing by, and people holding hands by the water’s edge… it’s the most amazing feeling.
Visit Mallory Square’s Sunset Celebration website for the daily sunset time, and be sure to experience the beautiful sunset if you are in Key West. It is free, and not to be missed!
If you are looking for a memory of your visit, Mallory Square is sure to have the souvenir you are looking for. There are many shops and vendors, all having Key West and Mallory Square branded items for you to purchase.
Hungry? There are several restaurants in and around Mallory Square that you can grab a bite to eat at:
• El mason De Pepe: Set in Mallory Square overlooking the harbor with live Latin music, El Meson serves up Cuban Conch cuisine – Picadillo, Ropa Vieja, Fambas Ala Plancha, Paella ala Pepe, flan, and the island’s best Mojitos.
• Two Friends Patio Restaurant: From conch fritters to the best island steaks and ribs, the best Happy Hour, and Karaoke shows, Two Friends Patio offers true Key West flavor.
• Fisherman’s Café: Located on Elizabeth Street, on the Historic Seaport, enjoy a steaming cup of café con leche, a hearty breakfast sandwich, or a succulent fresh caught fish sandwich.
• Latitudes: Just a ferry ride away on the exclusive Sunset Key, enjoy an ever evolving menu that includes pan-seared snapper with risotto, Waygu beef skirt steak crusted with honey and ancho with roasted garlic.
• Garbo’s Grill: Authentic island-style tacos and burritos on Caroline Street.
• Smoking’ Tuna Saloon: A raw bar, generous selection of starters, sandwiches, dinners, sides, and a full bar.
• White Tarpon: Goldman’s Bagels, Baby’s Coffee, and Boar’s Head Meats & Cheeses, build-your-own salads and sandwiches.
• The Commodore: Enjoy delicious seafood and mouthwatering steaks while watching the ships go in and out of the seaport.
• Lagerheads Beach Bar Ad Watersports: Serving fish tacos, crab cakes, fish sandwiches, smoked fish dip, burgers, and dogs, beer, wine, and frozen drinks.
• Rum Barrel Bar And Grill: All things Philly – famous cheese steak, creative entrees, and fresh local seafood.
• Duetto: Offering the best pizzas, panini and gelato this side of Italy.
• Rooftop Café: Overlooking Mallory Square, the Rooftop Café serves true island style cuisine – delicious steak, seafood, and an extensive wine selection, and full bar.
• Bistro 245: Casual dining serving fresh pasta, Black Angus Beef, and Key West shrimp.
• Häagen-Dazs: Cold treats with pure and high quality ingredients
• Hog’s Breath: Cold drinks, delicious food, and live music.
• A&B Lobster House: Offering a selection of fine steaks, locally caught seafood, and lobsters.
• Alonzo’s Oyster Bar: Casual waterfront dining overlooking the exciting Key West Bight
• Island Dogs Bar: Affordable drinks and hearty yet sophisticated food in a laid-back atmosphere, located just off the main strip of Duval Street.
• Amigos Tortilla Bar: Serving the freshest, healthiest, and tastiest tacos, quesadillas, and burritos in Key West.
• Bagatelle: Serving mouthwatering omelets to sesame crusted seared tuna on Duval Street.
• Fogarty’s Restaurant: Serving up healthy sized portions of great American fare and local seafood in the famous Fogarty House at the corner of Duval and Caroline Streets.
Mallory Square is home to many performers – jugglers, comedy acts, singers, daredevils. Here is a short (but not complete) list of some of them:
• Will Soto: Juggling and high wire act
• Dennis Riley: The Southern Bagpiper
• Bible Bill: Preaching to the crowds at Sunset Celebration
• Dale The Sword Swallower: Swallowing big swords
• Dr. Juice – The Calypso Tumbler: Aerial acrobatics
• The Rick and Jan Variety Show: Comedy, juggling, dogs on unicycles, and music
• Mustafa: Enjoy the island ballads of this guitarist and vocalist extraordinaire
• Jeep and Cleo: Vaudevillian Jeep swallows balloon swords and dog Cleo walks a tight rope
• Reid: Thrilling crowds with knives and torches
• Jean The Juggling Machine: Key West teenager juggling team
• Jace: Riding a tall Unicycle
• Bert Lee: Guitarist and songwriter
• David Vizard: Pop tune entertainer
• Casey Moore: He juggles fire, escapes from chains and a strait jacket.
• Chi-Town: Blues Guitarist
• Mark Riggs: Juggling fire on a 10’ suicycle
• Schmegly: Balloon artist
• Checkers Mallory: The Checkered Man
• Dominique The Cat Man: Cats and tightropes – an amazing performer!
Mallory Square is located at:
400 Wall Street
Key West, Florida 33040
Get Social with Mallory Square