Are you down with OITNB? @Netflix_ca #StreamTeam
20 Jun 2016
Orange Is The New Black. You have either heard of it, watched it, or are an OITNB binge watcher.
Now in season 4 (which debuted July 17th), OITNB is one of the most re-watched globally among Netflix subscribers.
“Of course people are re-watching – some things are so nice, you want to like them twice. With the exception of Suzanne’s erotic space novel and Toddlers & Tiaras.” said Tasha “Taystee” Jefferson, President of the TV at Litchfield Penitentiary.
Viewers are smitten with the last 3 episodes of a season – rightfully so – you want to see how it ends! However, the one episode that is still the most popular is episode 1 of season 1, when Larry drives his fiancé Piper to her new home… a woman’s prison.
Canada loves OITNB
• Almost one quarter of Canadian respondents (23%) plan to watch the previous season while 42% plan on re-watching all seasons before the season 4 launch
• Close to half of respondents (43%) said they will start preparing for the new season (S4) this week, and Canadian fans are willing to give up house chores to do so – cleaning the house (41%) and making your bed (38%)
• Outside of refreshing their memory, one third said they like to re-watch to relive moments with their favourite characters and 30% said they look for possible foreshadowing
• Over one quarter (28%) said they re-watch because it’s their favourite show and they can’t get enough
• It can be lonely in Litchfield. Over one third of Canadian respondents (32%) said they plan to re-watch by themselves.
Body Cavity Search?
Well… not exactly. Netflix examined OITNB viewership in over 190 countries. Results showed that more than 50% of this popular series have re-watched at least one full season of the the series since it debuted in 2013. That is huge! Viewership tens to peak in June. Why? Th new season is about to start, and viewers are re-watching the previous season.
To prepare for the new season, viewers of OITNB were polled to find their watching behaviour. Nearly a quarter (21%) plan to re-watch all 36 episodes of the previous season while 41% plan to re-watch the entire series.
Fans will forego making their bed (30%), nix cleaning the house (36%), and not cook (10%) to make time to watch their favourite Netflix series.
Like their beloved inmates, 36% will re-watch alone, 8% with their furfriends, and 12% will have a smorgasbord of eats to get them through their time in the pen.
Partner in crime? There were 25% that said they would watch it with their cell mate (spouse or partner), or invite over a friend (14%). The bedroom was not as popular a place for viewing (41%) as the living room (43%).
Just Can’t Get Enough of OITNB
So why do viewers watch OITNB so religiously? 25% just want to re-watch because it is their favourite show, 25% are looking at hints of possible storylines from past episodes, and 29% just want to relive those special moments with their favourite inmate.
No time for hard time
23% of those surveyed said they don’t have enough time to re-watch the entire season or series, but commit to just a few episodes. because of this behaviour, Netflix released the series most watched episodes.
• Episode 1 – “I wasn’t ready”. Sentenced to fifteen months for a crime committed in her youth, Piper Chapman leaves her supportive fiance Larry for her new home: a woman’s prison.
• Episode 12 – “Fool me once”. Painful truths reorient several relationships and careers: Pennsatucky feels disrespected by Piper; Larry gives a revealing radio interview.
• Episode 13 – “Can’t fix crazy”. Red’s scheme to reclaim her kitchen backfires; the inmates stage a Christmas pageant; Piper’s plans unravel even as she realizes her life is in jeopardy.
• Episode 11 – “Take a break from your values”. Piper is shocked at an unexpected change in her status; Soso’s hunger strike attracts new support that takes on a religious fervor.
• Episode 12 – “It was the change”. Tensions run high as a prison power outage forces several issues to come to light; Piper finds herself compromised and is forced to think on her feet.
• Episode 13 – “We have manners. We’re polite”. Several futures hang in the balance as the inmates face and confront their worst nightmares: Life will never be the same again.
• Episode 11 – “We can be heroes”. Caputo and Piper confront labor issues. A miracle occurs in Norma’s group. Crazy Eyes’ erotica winds up in the hands of the staff.
• Episode 12 – “Don’t make me come back there”. Daya goes into labor. Sophia suffers a hate crime. Stella helps Piper with a business snag. Taystee takes on a new role.
• Episode 13 – “Trust no bitch”. Miracles and conversions occur, but Piper and Caputo know that some situations can’t be dealt with through spiritual means.
So… What kind of viewer are you?
Do you watch Orange Is The New Black? What was your favourite episode?
Disclaimer: I am part of the Netflix Canada Stream Team. All opinions are my own.
*Data reflective of global accounts who have completed watching Orange is the New Black and have re-watched at least one season of the series.
**The survey was conducted by Google Consumer Surveys, June 2, 2016 – June 10, 2016 and based on 1,613 responses. The sample was the national adult internet population in the US, Mexico, UK and Canada. Survey respondents must have confirmed their intent to watch and prepare for season 4 of Orange is the New Black to participate. Overall RMSE score is 4.84%.
Netflix is the world’s leading Internet television network with over 70 million members in over 190 countries enjoying more than 125 million hours of TV shows and movies per day, including original series, documentaries and feature films. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on nearly any Internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
Craig is a husband, a father, team leader, senior youth group coordinator, designer, brander, community builder, volunteer, blogger, and social media manager. Craig likes to go camping, travel, go on road trips, watch movies, read with his girls, build stuff, operate the grill, and play bass guitar. In June 2017, PR firm Cision identified Craig as one of Canada’s top 10 most popular male bloggers in the parents and family space. Known as Big Daddy Kreativ, his blog specializes in travel, lifestyle, food, automotive, events, parenting, movies, tech, recipes, health, pets, reviews, and giveaways.