Marvel’s Avengers: Endgame Breaks Opening Weekend Records!
29 Apr 2019
It has been crazy few days at cinemas across Canada. In what has been the most highly anticipated superhero movie of all time, Avengers: Endgame delivered closure to an amazing saga of Marvel Cinematic Universe films.
I caught Avengers: Endgame at our local cinema on Thursday, and I have to say – it was one of the best movies I have ever seen. I wanted to see Thanos pay for wiping out 50% of all living beings on Earth in Avengers: Infinity War. After 11 years, the 22nd entry was the perfect way to wrap up the MCU Infinity Saga.
In order of release:
1. Iron Man (2008)
2. The Incredible Hulk (2008)
3. Iron Man 2 (2010)
4. Thor (2011)
5. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
6. The Avengers (2012)
7. Iron Man 3 (2013)
8. Thor: The Dark World (2013)
9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
10. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
11. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
12. Ant-Man (2015)
13. Captain America: Civil War (2016)
14. Doctor Strange (2016)
15. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
16. Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
17. Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
18. Black Panther (2018)
19. Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
20. Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)
21. Captain Marvel (2019)
22. Avengers: Endgame (2019)
Record Breaking Canadian Opening Weekend!
Avengers: Endgame has beat the Canadian record for best opening weekend previously held by Avengers: Infinity War. If you were anywhere near a cinema this weekend, you would have seen the tremendous crowds. I was lucky enough to catch the movie during the day, when kids were in school.
Marvel Studios’ AVENGERS: ENDGAME. L to R: Hawkeye/Clint Barton (Jeremy Renner), War Machine/James Rhodey (Don Cheadle), Iron Man/Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.), Captain America/Steve Rogers (Chris Evans), Nebula (Karen Gillan), Rocket (voiced by Bradley Cooper), Ant-Man/Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) and Black Widow/Natasha Romanoff (Scarlett Johansson). Photo: Film Frame. ©Marvel Studios 2019.
Canada Loved Avengers: Endgame
There is no doubt that Canadians were eagerly anticipating the release of Avengers: Endgame. Here are some Canadian-specific stats for this epic film:
• Canada represented 8.2% of the North American box office
• The biggest opening/single day of all time in Canada (Thursday/Friday)
• The biggest Saturday gross of all-time in Canada
• The Top advance pre-seller of all-time in Canada
The 5 Best Canadian Opening Weekends Of All Time
Here are the current ranking of the top 5 best opening weekends of all time in Canada are:
1. Avengers: Endgame – $28.9MM
2. Avengers: Infinity War – $19.7MM
3. Star Wars: The Force Awakens – $18.6MM
4. Star Wars: The Last Jedi – $17.2MM
5. Marvel’s The Avengers – $15.6MM
Avengers: Endgame Shatters Worldwide Opening Records
Avengers: Endgame shattered records with a $1.2 billion worldwide opening. It’s the only movie in history to cross the billion dollar mark for its debut. The film’s global success was propelled by China where it made $330 million. In all, it earned 859 million overseas during its opening. Some US cinemas stayed open 72 hours straight for Avengers: Endgame opening.
It’s no surprise that Avengers: Endgame tops this list, with all of the build up over the past 11 years, and with the way Avengers: Infinity War ended. We all wanted to see The Avengers assemble one more time.
Without giving away any spoilers, this movie is a must see for any fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe films.
Be sure to schedule some time to see Avengers: Endgame at your local cinema.
Whatever it takes.
Feature image: Marvel Studios’ AVENGERS: ENDGAME. L to R: Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers (Brie Larson), Black Widow/Natasha Romanoff (Scarlett Johansson), War Machine/James Rhodey (Don Cheadle), Thor (Chris Hemsworth), Captain America/Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) and Rocket (voiced by Bradley Cooper). Photo: Film Frame. ©Marvel Studios 2019.