Novelty or Necessity: The @AukeyCanada DR02 1080p Dash Cam. #review
23 Feb 2018
Dash cams have become very popular in the past few years. We’ve all seen the crazy Russian dash cam accidents on YouTube, right? Well, if you haven’t, here’s a pretty good compilation…
What was once a novelty item is slowly becoming a necessity.
Caught on a dash cam
A friend of mine was in a collision involving an aggressive driver, where another motorist had a dash cam, and let my friend know he caught the incident on camera. Long story short, this footage helped my friend prove to his insurance company that he was hit by the other motorist, and not the other way around.
This incident convinced my friend to install a dash cam in his truck. After seeing the footage, I was convinced that putting a dash cam in my truck and Wendy’s car would be a solid investment.
The AUKEY DR02 1080p Dash Cam
AUKEY Canada reached out to me to see if I would like to review their DR02 1080p Dash Cam. After seeing what had happened to my friend, I was all over this review.
What’s in the box:
• AUKEY DR02 1080p Dashboard Camera
• Dual-Port USB Car Charger
• Mini-USB Power Cable (4m/4.37yd – cannot be used for data transfer)
• Sticker Mount
• Two 3M Stickers
• Six Cable Clips
• 24 Month Warranty Card
• User Manual
Note: Micro SD memory card not included. You will need to buy one. Use up to a 128GB (Max) Class 10+ Micro SD memory card. A 128GB card will record up to 20 hours of 1080p footage.
DR02 dash cam features:
• Low Profile. The stealth design and compact size of the DR02 dash cam can be placed in an area that will not impede your view, and will not take up valuable real estate on your windshield.
• High Resolution. The Sony Exmor Sensor has a super-wide 170° field of view, and captures everything in super-sharp full 1080p resolution. The DR02 maintains strong performance in low-light conditions (ie: nighttime driving).
• Emergency Recording Mode. When activated by the built-in gravity sensor, the DR02 automatically captures unexpected driving incidents and protects them against being overwritten.
• Installation Is Easy. Securely mounts to your windshield with included 3M adhesive pads. I you don’t; want to keep the dash cam in your vehicle when you are not there, you can unplug the power cable, unclip the dash cam from the mount, and take it with you.
• Powers On and Off Automatically. Using the included dual-port USB car charger plugged into the 12/24V socket in your vehicle, the DR02 automatically powers on and starts recording when you start your vehicle, and stops when you switch off the engine.
Model Number: DR02
Image Sensor: Sony IMX323 2.19MP CMOS
Screen: 1.5″ LCD
Recording Resolutions: 1080p (30fps), 720p (60fps), 720p (30fps), WVGA, VGA
Operating Temperature: -30°C – 75°C / -22°F – 167°F
Size: 77mm x 51mm x 37mm / 3″ x 2″ x 1.45″
Like all of their products, AUKEY backs the DR02 1080p Dash Cam with a 24-month warranty.
Audio recording can be switched on or off. When on, in car audio will be recorded during video recording. You can use this feature to voice details of hazards, or record vehicle license plates, etc. For this review, I left the audio off.
I wanted to test out the DR02 dash cam in different lighting conditions. I went for a drive in the daylight, at dusk, and at night time.
The DR02 dash cam in the Daylight
The video footage was very clear. The sun was bright, and the DR02 dash cam handled the high light and reflection well.
The DR02 dash cam at Dusk
I didn’t find any drop in resolution at dusk. The AUKEY DR02 recorded great footage of my drive on the darker streets.
The DR02 dash cam at Night Time
I was thoroughly impressed by how crisp and clear the night time video was! Everything from the road, to the vehicles, to the street lights – all great quality. The DR02 dash cam did a fantastic job!
Pros and Cons
The AUKEY DR02 1080p Dash Cam is very compact, and won’t be a bother on your windshield. WDR and night vision is a huge plus, as is the extra 3M adhesive pad AUKEY throws in, in case you buy a new vehicle and need to transfer the dash camera.
The only negative thing that stands out for me is the use of a 3M adhesive strip instead of a suction cup to attach the dash cam to the windshield. While the 3M strip allows for a secure solution, it does not allow for repositioning on the window, or transporting to a different vehicle (unless you have a 3M strip in both vehicles). Suction cup would allow for ease of transfer between vehicles.
Removal of the 3M adhesive strip
If you have bought a new vehicle, and need to move the dash cam from the older vehicle to your newer vehicle, you will need to remove the adhesive pads.
A bit of dental floss will do the trick. You can clean the excess glue with isopropyl alcohol.
Easy peasy! You will be all set to sell your vehicle without any adhesive pads or gluey mess on your windshield.
The AUKEY DR02 Dash Cam has very good resolution, providing high quality pictures, and 1080p video in both day and night. I was really surprised how well the pictures and videos looked on my 32” desktop monitor when playing back the recorded footage. With its compact size and high quality picture and video, the DR02 dash cam would be beneficial in any vehicle.
2 big thumbs up!
Get Social with AUKEY!
Disclaimer: I received an AUKEY DR02 1080p Dash Cam for review purposes. All opinions are my own.
06 Dec 2018 - Lifestyle